Registration is now open!
Fusing Textures in Sterling and High carat gold with Marne Ryan
September 23-25, 2016
In this workshop renowned metalsmith and teacher Marne Ryan will demonstrate how to create beautiful textures and patterns by fusing high karat gold to sterling silver. Students will use their textured sheets to make a highly dimensional bangle bracelet. Additional fees for materials may apply.
MARNE RYAN, a recipient of the Rolex award for excellence in metals, has been exploring and teaching the process of making textures through fire since 1976. Her work has appeared in in Ornament Magazine, Lapidary Journal, Contemporary American Jewelry Design, and Fold Forming. She designed and produced Organic Metals, a six-DVD set teaching fusing, jewelry projects and techniques.
Should you need to cancel a workshop registration, please review our workshop cancellation policy:
- CMAG requires notice of cancellation in writing via email or post and must be received 30 days prior to the beginning of the workshop.
- Cancellation 30 days prior to the workshop will receive a full refund less a $25 service fee.
- Cancellations received 29 days or less prior to the beginning of a workshop receive no refund due to instructor contracts, material acquisitions, housing and travel agreements, unless the workshop has a waiting list and the space can be filled.
- CMAG will not make refunds to students withdrawing after a workshop has begun.
- If CMAG is forced to cancel a workshop, all registered students will be notified and given a full refund. CMAG will not cover any airline or other travel ticket refunds.
- Email cancellations to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Creative Metal Arts Guild
PO Box 8946
Portland, OR 97207
June 2016 – Chasing and Repousse with Heather McLarty
Heather McClarty, Artist Blacksmith, taught a fabulous workshop on high relief chasing. You can learn more about her and see examples of her work at http://www.steelcrazy.biz/
August 2015 – Anticlastic Raising and Micro Shell Forming with Betty Helen Longhi and Andrea Kennington
February 2015 – Custom Clasps with Alison Antelman
Alison Antelman taught us how to fabricate key clasps and box clasps as well as ways to integrate them into our own jewelry work by adding stones and other decorative elements. To see examples of Alison’s work, please go to http://www.antelman.com.
November 2014 – Toolmaking with Bill Dawson
Bill Dawson taught CMAG members how to turn steel rod into chasing punches, texture stamps and makers mark punches. http://www.billdawsonmetalsmith.com
July 2014 – Mokume Gane with Eric Burris
Students learned to make a 16 layer billet of sterling and copper, then turned it into patterned sheet metal.
2013 – Granulation and Reticulation with Harold O’Connor
CMAG brought in Harold O’Connor to teach a workshop on Granulation and Reticulation. In this photo he demonstrates use of a water torch for soldering.